Thursday, November 1, 2018

Even if I wanted to be

In my high school yearbook, everyone wrote some little blurb to go along with their picture. To me, much of what most wrote was obvious and juvenile. I get that we were only 17 or 18 and its hard to expect Shakespeare from teenagers. I was never your average teenager in that respect. 
Anyway, I got a lot of response from mine as you might expect, although that was not my intention. I was always different than others. I realized that when I was very young, and I rarely have tried to fight it. I have my moments when I do, but I always come back to the gist of the blurb I wrote, and the poem I wrote below. Here is what I wrote back then, in 1984, and I can say it only took 10 seconds thought to come up with it, because its how I've always felt. 

"I can only be me, who else can I be?"

The poem below is something I wrote this week, as I try to rekindle my creativity, for various beneficial personal reasons. Basically, its just an extension or continuation of what I wrote 35 years ago in my high school yearbook. 
-------------
Even if I wanted to be
----------------
I cant be the person people want me to be
Even if I wanted to be
Sometimes I think I want to be that person
Sometimes I don't know if I do

Sometimes I try
Every time I try
I fail
I know I cant be
Because its not me

I'm not capable of being that person
Its never going to be me
I'm only capable of being who I am
For better or worse

That is who I am
That is what I am
That is what I was meant to be
Even if that isn't good enough

I give what I've got
Its all I've got to give
Even if I wanted to be more
There is no more there to be

I can only be me  
I cant be more than that
So I've quit trying
To be more than I can be

No comments:

Post a Comment